Alien Task Force, LLC: Web/RIA Development & Design

Past Projects

SwanStone Shower and Tub Visualizer

Advanced Flash/Flex/ActionScript Development - Flash and Web development by Alien Task Force, LLC - Rockport, TX Advanced Flash/Flex/ActionScript Development - Flash and Web development by Alien Task Force, LLC - Rockport, TX
Advanced Flash/Flex/ActionScript Development - Flash and Web development by Alien Task Force, LLC - Rockport, TX Advanced Flash/Flex/ActionScript Development - Flash and Web development by Alien Task Force, LLC - Rockport, TX

Client

Hughes for Swan Corporation

Credits

Art & Design: Hughes
ActionScript Development: Alien Task Force

About the Project

This project had many interesting aspects. Working from Hughes wonderful designs, I started by creating all the custom components used in the project. I'm especially proud of the measurement selectors and the color selectors. These components were developed using object-oriented AS3. In fact there is not a single bit of timeline based animation in this application. It's all ActionScript objects.

The next challenge had to do with the rule set. How to convert the measurements entered into the proper parts numbers and images. The solution came using XML and E4X to model the business rules.

Another big challenge in this project was how to build the images. For the showers there were 6 wall color choices, 3 floor color choices, 29 shower color choices, 4 trim option choices, 4 accessory choices, and 4 shower types. That is a total of 41,760 possible images. For tubs that goes up 125,280 since, in addition to the basic items above there are 6 tub color choices and 2 tub types. That's over 160,000 possible images that can come out of this application! What's even more amazing is that we did it with less than 800 total base images. We started off with a few 3D renders for each material (provided by Hughes). I used the bitmap APIs to create the masks and blending modes needed to build all the composite images.

One more interesting aspect of this project is the parts list PDF. We didn't want to have to rely on server-side scripts to do this, mostly due to the network traffic and delays inherent in that process. The solution was to create the PDF locally in Flash using the open-source AlivePDF library.

During the whole process great care was taken to make sure the application size was kept as small as possible and load times were as short as possible.

All in all, this is some of my best work to date and I would like to thank the folks at Hughes for the opportunity to work with them on this project.

View Project